Senior Project Engineer
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Product Development
- Application Deadline:
- Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
1) Performs engineering product design on transportation and/or architectural seating (and tables) to meet customer specifications.
2) Works with Industrial Designers to accommodate aesthetic and functional concepts into assigned engineering design projects. May also take design concepts form internal or external designers and engineer them to meet customer specifications.
2) Prepares CAD documents and review documents for proper dimensioning with appropriate tooling and proper engineering layout.
3) Maintains engineering documentation for all current products including specifications and drawings.
4) Assists with selecting, hires and training employees. May conduct performance reviews and can recommend salary increases within corporate guidelines.
5) Establishes project schedules and objectives for assigned projects. May also lead multi-disciplined team activities to achieve launch targets. May work with assigned personnel and track performance against objectives.
6) Provides technical direction and support for assigned projects.
7) Releases final design products for manufacturing using standard release procedure.
8) Assures that new product projects follow the Engineering Release Notice (ERN) procedure.
9) Performs Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) hand calculations as required.
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Coordinates prototype build programs for product review and testing.
2) Initiates and implements cost reducing proposals/opportunities.
3) Coordinates testing programs to verify design objectives and product performance.
4) Maintains project cost controls and interfaces with Finance and Purchasing for product/project cost analysis.
5) Researches new design approaches, design tools including consideration of new processes in cooperation with operations.
1) Bachelor of Science Degree in a related engineering field.
2) Six to eight years of work experience required.
1) Knowledgeable in applications of material structural requirements including use of hand calculations and computer calculations (FEA)
2) Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interpret and translate facts and explain technical information to others.
3) Experience in a rapid product development with design for manufacturing.
4) Working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) , tooling, metals, plastics, woods, foams, fastening and fabrication methodologies. Knowledgeable with metal fatigue and welding.
5) Project management, engineering design, knowledge of production processes and work experience through tooling and validation of tooling.
6) Knowledge and demonstrated use of SolidWorks and SolidWorks Simulation.
7) Exhibit a strong sense of urgency during all decision making and possesses self-motivated characteristics.